Curriculum by Department
Students complete a course of study that exceeds admissions standards for the University of California system.
All students take Physics and Calculus in Main Lesson, for example, with additional honors track classes offered. Honors classes are available in the sciences (Honors Modern Physics, Honors Biology) and mathematics (Honors Geometry, Honors Algebra II, Honors Precalculus, Advanced Placement Calculus AB). Incoming students take a mathematics placement test to determine the appropriate math track class.
Students elect to study either Mandarin or Spanish. Incoming students may begin language studies at entry level or take a placement test to determine the appropriate level language class. Additional elective classes are offered in the Humanities, Science, and Art.
Students with previous musical training may audition with music teachers to determine placement into orchestra or jazz band.
Approximate yearly equivalent for our graduates:
- 4 years English (Humanities)
- 3-4 years Mathematics
- 3-4 years World Language (Spanish or Mandarin)
- 4-5 years Science (Earth Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics)
- 4 years History (Social Studies, World History, US History and Civics, & Cultural Studies)
- 1 year of Aesthetics (Art History, Poetics, Music History, Architecture)
- 4 years Art
- 4 years Music
- 4 years Physical Education